Friday 7th September. Home.

Well, I’ve been out of the hospital for a week now and have been staying at my daughter’s, although I’m hoping to go home to my house next week.

Dad and daughter
Garry just about to leave hospital with his daughter Vicky

I have a nurse that comes round each day to administer my antibiotics, which have to be given intravenously and also to check my stats, which have all been more or less okay since I’ve been home!

I exercise my right hip/leg every day, although maybe not as much as I should, I find it all a bit painful and too exhausting!

I’ve now worked out or rather I’ve been told about my stay in hospital!

I was taken to the A&E department at St Richard’s Hospital Chichester by ambulance on the Saturday night/Sunday morning. Over the next four days, I was moved from ward to ward, with nobody knowing what was wrong with me!

Man having a manicure
Vicky giving her dad a manicure while he was sedated

Eventually, after a couple of nights on the emergency floor, (I wasn’t actually on the floor it’s a name of the ward!) They told me that if I didn’t pass any water, they were going to put a catheter in me! Not wanting that I immediately asked for a jug of water which I downed straight away! That was quickly followed by three more, which didn’t work either! My last memory was of me dragging a chair across the ward for support to the toilet, with my sister telling my brother-in-law Pat to go with me!

what happened

Everything from here on until my last few days in intensive care is what people have told me happened!

After another day or so of confusion on my part, not knowing who I was, where I was or who anybody else was they then realised that I had sepsis and transferred me to the intensive care unit.

After a day or two in intensive care, things weren’t getting better, and my kidneys stopped working! Soon after my kidneys stopped working my lungs and heart started to pack up! It was then that they sedated me! And put me on life support to give my body a chance to recover!

Garry McGivern on life support
Garry sedated and hooked up to life support

I was sedated for six days before they revived me, and I stayed in intensive care for another 3-weeks, which I don’t remember either!

While in intensive care they discovered that I had two abscesses on my right hip, my bad one.

After draining the two abscesses, they told me that they were going to remove the hip and put a temporary spacer in until they were sure that all the infection had gone! So I’ve now got this temporary spacer, which will stay in until they decide to replace my hip properly, which from what they were saying is unlikely to be this year!

Man in hospital eating
Enjoying some fish and chips that the family bought in

The only downside to having this spacer and it’s a really big downside, I’m not allowed to ride my bike at all, in any way shape or form until I get my new hip! So that’s no cycling until next year! Must try not to get to down about it! Think I may need to lock my bikes up and throw away the keys, then I won’t be able to ride them! That’s if my daughters not already done that!

After four weeks in intensive care, they discharged me to the orthopaedic ward, where I spent another two weeks before being discharged home.

I’ve not gone home I’m staying at my daughter’s, so as you can imagine I’m spoilt rotten!

It wasn’t until I’d heard all this from different people that I realise how ill I was and just how lucky I am to be here!

Thank you

I can’t praise or thank the staff at St Richard’s enough, who let’s face it without them I wouldn’t be here now!

Visiting in hospital
Julie and her daughter Hayley pay Garry a visit

I’d also like to thank my family and friends for all the support they’ve given me and are continuing to, particularly my daughter Vicky, who worries about me at the best of times, so god knows what she’s been going through!

Turkish barbers
Garry finally managing to get a haircut and shave

Also, thank you for all the comments I’ve received via my website and social media, many from people I don’t know and many from people that I’ve only met once while on my travels! Thank you all I appreciated everybody’s kind words and thoughts!

10 Replies to “Friday 7th September. Home.”

  1. Garry, I’ve been keeping up with what’s going on from Zoe. I”m so pleased to read your post and continue to wish you a speedy recovery of strength and fast follow up op. My best wishes, your cousin Penny.

    1. Thanks Penny, it’s already getting a bit boring not being able to do anything! But at least things are moving in the right direction, just very slowly!
      Apparently I’ve got to be patient, not something I’m known for!
      Hope your keeping well.

  2. Hi Garry! That’s a reminder – I need to cut my own nails. Last week I did a Donald Crowhurst. I cycled half way round Langstone Harbour and packed it in. Well, I was knackered before I started. Next time you come to the Island I’m gonna track you down and buy you a drink.
    Best wishes – Malc.

    1. Maybe you’ll have to do the other half another weekend!
      Don’t worry about tracking me down, I’ll track you down if your buying!

  3. So very glad ur on the mend now spikey must have been so scary for Vicky tow watch you like that and for you not to know who anybody was my love and thoughts have been with you all through when I found out
    Sending you a big hug 🤗 and lots of love and hopefully will be able to get to seee you soon
    Take care xxx😘💙

  4. God! All that and they haven’t even done your hip yet. You look healthier in hospital.
    than when you’re on the bike. Today, I cycled from Sandown to Shanklin along the Esplanade.
    Auld Malc.

    1. That’s one of the many annoying things, once I’ve recovered from this, they’ll cut me open again!
      How did you get to Sandown?

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.