Garry brought his Thorn Rohloff EXP now called Passepartout from SJS cycles in Bridgewater, Somerset in May 2008. Why Passepartout? In the Jules Verne novel “Around the world in eighty days” Phileas Fogg’s manservant was Passepartout. And as a manservant would have helped to carry Phileas Fogg’s bags around the world! And as Garry’s bike had carried his bags across the globe on his world tour, it felt fitting to Garry!
Garry’s original touring bike was his old Marin mountain bike. Which he had converted into a hybrid bike, by adding front and rear racks. But after deciding to cycle from Spain to England, Garry decided he needed a new bike. And after a little research, decided to buy a Thorn.
Garry’s Thorn Rohloff EXP has now covered more than 40,000 miles. In 30 countries, across 5 continents! As of July 2015.
Bike and components List
- Frame; Thorn Rohloff EXP
- Handlebars; Thorn 6061 Straight bars with anatomic grips & zoom alloy ski bar ends
- Gears; Rohloff Speadhub 500/14 in black
- Wheels; Tungsten black carbide
- Tyres; Schwalbe Marathon 26 x 1.75
- Brakes; Shimano XTR V-Brakes with swiss top blue brake pads
- Mudguards; SKS chromo plastic in black
- Chainring; Thorn 110mm 5 Arm Reversible Single ring – Black 42T
- Chainset; Thorn170mm 5 arm cranks (73mm shell)
- Saddle; Brooks B17 Standard leather saddle
- Front Rack; Thorn MkV low loader in black powder
- Racks; Thorn Expedition Steel Rack in black powder
- Dynamo; Schmidt 28 dyno hub 32 hole in black
- Front Light; Busch & Muller Lumotec
- Rear Light; Cateye LD1100
- Pedals; MKS mtn-lite with Zefal easy clip mini strapless toe clips
- Computer; Cateye CC-MT 400 Mity 8 cycle computer
7 Replies to “Thorn Rohloff EXP”