On This Day 6th-May-2015

This week’s on, this day post comes from the 6th-May-2015. It’s the second day of my Spanish and Portuguese tour, although this wasn’t where I had initially planned to go. I’d set off to cycle to Scandinavia the week before but only managed to get ten miles from home! After getting an upset stomach. And on reflection, I decided that Scandinavia might be too expensive for me. I’d spent the past two years off work after a couple of failed operations on my back.

Wednesday 6th-May-2015 Villarcayo to Burgos. 51 miles.

I struggled to get going this morning. It was cold and damp when I woke up! The tent was soaking wet, and my phone seemed to be taking a long time to charge in the shower block. My clothes had also not dried! I was also hoping they might dry by leaving my clothes a little longer. No chance I had to put them on wet! Oh, the joys of camping! My lack of enthusiasm could have also been down to spotting a 1000 metre climb on the map last night! Eventually, I managed to get moving, although I was still in no rush.

I finally packed up and got moving at just gone eight o’clock, but I didn’t get far. The campsite gate was locked, and there was no way out. It was entirely my fault. I forgot to ask what time the gates opened when I checked in last night. So I just had to sit there shivering in my wet clothes! I eventually got on the road at nine o’clock.

Church along the road near Puerto de La Mazzorra

Well, I was right about that 1000 metre climb, and to make things worse, it was an 11% gradient in places. It took me a good hour to reach the top. Once there, I seemed to be on a plateau and only dropped down a few hundred feet before climbing again. It’s been like that all day, small drops and long climbs. The climbs probably weren’t that long. They just feel a lot longer.


I picked up a hitchhiker today, Julio. He had a wife and two kids. And due to the lack of work in the north. He was heading south to find fame and fortune! But he was now tired and said that he wanted to rest, so could I give him a lift no problem, I said, jump on. He was with me for a good half hour, and we chatted away, sharing our stories of how we got here. It was nice having some company for a while! Then without a thank you or anything, he took off! Now there’s gratitude for you!

I think I may have had too much sun today!!

[jetpack_subscription_form title=”Follow Garry on his travels” subscribe_text=” Subscribe to Garry’s blog, to receive news and updates on all future tours”]

Share this:

Follow Garry on his travels

Subscribe to my email and follow me on my travels

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial